Monday, October 12, 2009

This Old Burden

Excuse me, I object.
I know You're not done yet,
But how can it be true
That I be loved by You?
It's unconditional?
I do not grasp the whole
Of how or why at all!
I feel unlovable.
I've lived my share of woes.
My word and deed, it shows
I don't always choose well.
Should I not go to Hell?
I'm sorry, it's just hard
To take You at Your word.
I'm damaged and unwhole,
Yet you cherish my soul?
With arms open so wide,
And Your heart filled with pride?
You really do love me!
Your blessings help me see
That You forgive mistakes,
As many as I make,
And find beauty in me
That I can't even see.
I've struggled years to grasp
A love that is this vast.
I'm tattered, torn and scarred,
But You see past that part.
You see the heart of me.
You long to set me free
From all my guilt and shame.
You call me out by name.
Yes, I'll stop arguing,
But God, I'll need your strength,
For I can't comprehend
A love that does not end.
I've known too much heartache.
My longing eyes can't wait
To look upon Your face
And know I'm home and safe.
I want to believe, God,
With all my mind and heart
That nothing I could do
Would make Your love untrue.
And so, I choose to trust.
It's very hard. I must
Let this old burden fall;
It's not mine, after all.

No comments: