Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Emmanuel

The name word/name ‘Jesus’ means a lot to me. My faith is based upon it. It brings me comfort in times of need. In light of the trials that I am currently going through, I have found myself calling out to Jesus, lately, more than I have in months. When I have bad dreams, or am afraid, I always says the name of Jesus out loud. When I feel I am under spiritual attack, I say His name aloud. In fact, just the other night I had a nightmare that I could not seem to wake up from. I started saying “Jesus” in my sleep. I said it until I woke myself up, muttering it. His name always seems to ease my fear. Incidentally, Caleb happened to have crawled into my bed to sleep with me that night. My muttering must have woken him up too, because he reached out and touched my arm and said, “I love you, Mom.”

Emmanuel. I have heard that word all my life. I grew up with a Pastor Father, and went to Christian school from grade school through college; so of course, I know that word well. I have sung songs with that word in the lyrics. I have heard the word used in many sermons. I have read it many times in the Bible. I have learned that Emmanuel is the name Mary gave to Jesus upon His earthly birth. It never meant much more to me than that, though, it is an important word. A name. It is a cool name. I like that name.

This morning, in reading a very simple scripture verse, Matthew 1:23, I had an epiphany. I have read that verse so many times over the years. But this time, the deeper meaning behind that word/name jumped out at me... Emmanuel means “God with us”. How come I never “got it" before reading it again just a bit ago? This time, I got goose bumps all over when I read it. For the first time ever, I have realized: Jesus’ very name means “God with us”! His very name means He is God and He is always with me! .....His. Very. Name.

My present trials seems so small to me right now, because I know and love Emmanuel! And I am known and loved by Emmanuel! He is with me! He knows my life, heart, thoughts and dreams. He knows my fears, faults, failings and worries. HIS VERY NAME brings me comfort and peace on this day, for He is with me.

Digging into the Greek and original transcripts of the Bible, you will find there are countless words used to name, describe or characterize God/Jesus. But today, the one that is bringing me a deep sense of tranquility comes from such a simple, yet dramatically enlightening verse. God’s name defined; is love, comfort, rest and peace. ...He is with me. What more could I possibly want or need? That’s not even a question. If it is a question, it’s certainly a rhetorical one.

.........Emmanuel.

No comments: