Monday, November 28, 2011

Shelter

I just laid out the lyrics and piano part for this song. I have had an intensely stressful morning... unfortunately, one of many, as of late. Have you ever had so much anxiety and stress in your life, that you find it hard to even pray? Isn't that when we should be reaching out to God the most? I'll tell you, it really took a conscious effort for me to do so this morning. I did find the strength to ask God for some guidance in my present trials, and the only answer I got was "Rest". Kinda hard to do that, God! But "rest" and "shelter" and "wings" kept filling my mind, and I felt compelled to write a song, instead of wallowing in worry. It's a slow, soulful song. No chorus. No bridge. Just instrumentals in between verses. Key of F/Dm.

"Shelter"

I need shelter from this storm.
I need my faith to be restored.
I wish I trusted You more.
I wish I needed less, Dear Lord.

I fear I'll somehow miss the sound
Of mercy's call, as my fears drown it out.
All these needs and fears weigh me down.
Draw me into faith and out of doubt.

There is rest beneath the wings of hope.
Shelter me, so I am not alone.
I will wait until the clouds have gone.
Carry me from darkness to dawn.

~~~

God showed me a scripture verse just now. Psalm 57:1, "Be merciful to me, God, be merciful to me, for my soul takes refuge in you. Yes, in the shadow of your wings, I will take refuge, until disaster has passed." (World English Bible translation). I'd say it was my inspiration for writing this, except I came upon it after having written the song. I think God's trying to tell me something...

No comments: