Tuesday, September 11, 2012

From Tragedy to Hope


11 years ago today, a terrible tragedy struck our nation.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I had just the night before made a very foolish, life-changing decision.  That day, my whole world changed, and was completely turned upside down.  I feel sick when I look back on the devastation that was going on in my country and also in my own personal life.  Many heroes arose that day, and our nation pulled together with broken hearts, yet a united strength and determination to not let the horrific injustice of 9/11/01 pull us down.  I've wished many times that we could all just have a do over on that day... that I could have the chance to rethink, undo... that I wouldn't have made the horrible choices I was making in my life at that point... that we could as a Nation have somehow forseen the attacks on the World Trade Center, and prevented the horrific and devastating loss of so many lives.  The tragedy of that day still echoes within my heart like a silent scream of helplessness and mourning.

We cannot change the past.  We cannot allow ourselves to become stuck there either.  We must not live every day with loss, tragedy and defeat as our captors.  We must move forward.  Press on.  Allow hope to fill us with the promise of a new day.  I am guilty of subconsciously allowing myself to get stuck in the past, wallowing in depression and self-accusation.  In doing so, I was inadvertently stunting my own growth.  Yes, it is important to remember.  That is how we learn what not to do in the future.  While it is important to realize we are powerless to change the past, it so much more important to give all the brokenness to Jesus and trust that He will work ALL things together for our good.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28

"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."  2 Corinthians 9:8

With all the past personal failures and all the unwanted tragedies I have known in this life.... With all the changes going on in our world and all the ups and downs and possibilities and fears, I/we need to remember there is only one thing that will never, ever fail....  God's Love.  Things change.  Circumstances change.  People change.  God does not.  He stays the same, as does His love for us.  There is comfort and rest in that knowledge.

"But You [God] remain the same, and Your years will never end." - Psalm 102:27

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good.  His Love endures forever." - Psalm 136:1

"Love never fails." - I Corinthians 13:8

"I trust in God's unfailing love forever and ever." - Psalm 52:8

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving kindness." - Jeremiah 31:3

A song I know came to my heart yesterday, and I have been listening to it non-stop.  I am going to learn it on the keyboard today so I can teach it to my worship team, and we can sing it in church on Sunday.  It's called "Your Love Never Fails", and I just love it.  It's so true!  I am so thankful today, that even in my solemn moments of reflection, I can cling to the hope and peace which comes from knowing God's Love is unfailing.  He is the Comforter; the Great Healer.  And He has promised he will make ALL things work together for my/our good.  I believe that with my whole heart.  That belief transforms the anguish into hope.

~

Here is the link to "Your Love Never Fails" - performed here by Jesus Culture:

http://youtu.be/PXsWAAhnGhc

No comments: