Saturday, March 22, 2014

Hiking Solo

I took myself for a hike today, solo, aside from my doggy Rain who accompanied me.  She's my little hiking buddy.  She loves to hike so much, she usually runs far ahead of me blazing a trail and chasing any wildlife there may happen to be in the area.  As I was about halfway to my destination, a peak which overlooks the town I live in, I was kind of wishing I had a human hiking partner... someone to share the great view, the exercise and my love of nature with.  A companion.

As I hiked upwards, my lungs and calves burned a little but it felt great!  I didn't want to stop to rest until I reached the very top.  Once I got there, and after I had a chance to catch my breath and drink a bit of water, I climbed to the top of a boulder which was resting at the peak.  From this vantage point, I had great views on all sides.  I could see the valley below with the town in which I live nestled within it.  I could see the beautiful, colorful mountains nearby.  Down below me were rolling hills and trees and meadows and tiny little rooftops that looked like toy houses.  The highway looked so small and the cars on it looked like ants on a trail.  Everything was so far away.  Quiet.  Surreal.  I felt like I was on top of the world.  I smiled and breathed deep and soaked in the sunlight, thankful to God for the beautiful world in which I live.  The afternoon was perfect.  Even Rain was smiling.

After a long while of just sitting and absorbing the sun's rays and admiring the scenery and cloudless, powder-blue sky, I remembered the thought I had had on my way up to this place... the thought of wishing for a partner.  Now, that thought seemed kind of silly to me.  I wanted nothing more or different than what I already had in the very moment I was spellbound within.  I was blanketed with contentment.  Alone, but not lonely.  Though there have been many times that I felt it would be nicer to have a partner, the reality is: everything I need, I already have.  Life is perfect just as it is.  It is okay to be alone.  More than okay.  Hiking solo is wonderful.

~

A few pics from today:





    




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RE: "Alone, but not lonely."

From a favorite song: "Everywhere I go I know you're not far away. You're right here. You're right here..."

Alone, but not alone.

Monica said...

Exactly! ...and I love that song! :)