Sunday, February 18, 2018

Boys

I am raising gentle warriors.

Now that my oldest child, my daughter, has graduated highschool and gone to college , I am left at home being mom to two teenage boys.

For most of their lives, my two boys have been raised by a single mom (me, to be clear).  This has not been easy, especially considering the fact that I am such a sensitive person. But I can see how God is using even my softness to mold my boys.

Life has handed both of them hardships in their pasts. But they are such strong individuals. And I know that they are going to use those hardships to become wiser and stronger, someday.  I've no doubt, whatsoever.  The growth and character that I am seeing in them make me feel so at peace with the future that God has for them.  I just know they are going to do great things for this world.

I definitely believe in the power of women. I am a very, very strong one, although, a very sensitive one. Sensitivity doesn't make one weak.  It makes one wise.  But, I also believe in the power of men!  There are so many wonderful characteristics that I do not possess that my boys and husband do. I am so thankful for their gifts that are so different than mine.  God's design is just so perfect and balanced.  I feel that men and women need to acknowledge each other's strengths and weaknesses, and encourage them! 

I have definitely noticed a difference between boys and girls in my relationship with my boys. They're each a little bit different from each other, too... Okay, a lot different.  But they are also completely different than I am.  All of us appreciate the differences in the dynamic that we have, and that is why I truly believe that there does not need to be segregation between male and female to the point where one needs to be demonized. They are such beautiful people.  There can be no competition between the sexes, when they are both so beautiful and so different. It would be like comparing a rainbow to a waterfall.

I don't know what in the world I would do without my precious boys.  I can't tell you how many times they have been there for me when I was low, and my protectors when I was weak.  And I know they would say the exact same thing about me.  A family is a unit. We are all work together to be the best unit we can be. .....I wish the world was more like that.  All of this competing and comparing is dragging us down as a people.

I know that God is helping me raise these boys to be strong.  I am so very thankful for God's leadership in my parenting of them!  I would never be able to do it without Him.  They're going to do really great things.

If you are a mom of boys, consider yourself extremely blessed. You have an opportunity to show them how to be empathetic, while still being the men that they are. You have an opportunity to make this world a better place in the way that you raise your boys.  My suggestion to you when times get tough with them, as they will, I guarantee you... keep being you, while continuing to encourage them to be who they are.  Never take that away from them.  Help them to see the full picture.  It is up to us to nurture compassion, while encouraging strength.  It is not easy in today's times; but with God's help, you can do anything, and do it well.  We've got this. ❤️

No comments: