Friday, April 07, 2006

"The Numb Room"

The room in which I awoke

Was dark and quiet.

The air was thick and stale,

And I felt heavy and dazed;

As if my body was made of led,

And my mind was stuck on pause.

I looked around and tried to care

In this isolation,

But the only feelings I could muster

Were weariness and apathy.

This was a strange place.

I felt a stranger to myself.

And so I arose and walked about,

Numb and devoid of passion,

Adjusting to my new home.


Was I crazy? Was I asleep?

Did a thief come along

With malevolent intent,

And cloaked in darkness,

Rob me of my resolve, my sanity;

Stealing my heart and hope?

I didn’t know,

But that did not bother me.

I felt no cause for concern.

I felt nothing at all.

My only objective

Was to drift back into slumber,

And I didn’t care a bit

If I never awoke again.


As the days went by,

I grew fond of my dark surroundings.

The walls were my family,

And solitude, my friend.

I did nothing.

I was nothing.

I aspired to nothing more

Than to exist…

With risk and chaos and

The ache of loss

Locked safely outside

My haven of seclusion.

Numb was my only emotion,

And in this prison,

I felt free.

No comments: