Monday, April 15, 2013

Tears & Tenacity


I yearn for tears
To fall like raindrops,
But there are far too many…
The rain would be jealous.
So, I will not cry today.
Standing before
A mountain of bad things,
My mind is weary.
My body is weak.
My heart is heavier than
The mountain itself.
If only this were
One of those horribly realistic
Nightmares,
The kind that cause you
To awake in a cold sweat,
Heart pounding,
Afraid.
But from every dream,
There is awaking.
And every mountain
Is begging to be climbed
By someone brave.
Oh, but it looms above me!
Treacherous.
Taunting.
It’s slippery, jagged
And menacing terrain
Has me overwhelmed
With intimidation.
I must be honest.
I don’t want to climb.
I have no resources.
No companion.
No belay.
No rope.
I just want to cry.
I just want to sleep.
But I must do neither.
And so, I suppose
I shall write a poem about
Tears and tenacity,
And then I shall climb in the rain.

No comments: