Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Dad...

I am a Pastor's daughter.  This has come with both heartache and joy.  But I think I may be one of the rare few individuals in this life who absolutely hit the jackpot! 

My Dad is a giver.  I want to be like him.  It doesn't matter if he is tired, mentally weary, or depressed... he gives.  Even if the gifter does not appreciate it at the time, or ever, he faithfully gives.  Even if he is chastised for being too "soft" (which is in contrast to his years before becoming a Christian), he gives.  Even if he hasn't much, he gives.  He gives everything!  Time, energy, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, empathy and wisdom (the list goes on).  All the eternally lasting things.  He can't help it.  He just gives.  I can relate, but on a less conscious level.  My Dad seems to give even when it hurts him personally.  Wow. Now, THAT is love. 

I want to be just like you, Dad!  Thank you for showing me how to be a good person.  Thank you for being an extraordinarily exemplary dad to me, and grandpa to my kids.  I owe everything I am to God, who you personally introduced me to at a very young age.  My knowledge of scripture and introduction to Jesus are priceless gifts you gave to me.

I love you for so many reasons.  But the way you are so giving makes me see Christ in you in a real, daily, genuine way. I am forever grateful to God for making me your daughter.

No comments: