Monday, September 28, 2009

The Artichoke & the Angel

The craziest thing happened! Or maybe NOT so crazy...

I woke to my alarm clock music this morning. After hitting snooze a few times, I climbed, reluctantly, out bed. Monday. Time to get my kids ready for school. As I started decending the stairs to the living room/kitchen, I realized something just wasn't right. I smelled smoke. Not just a little smoke, but a very strong burning stench. I ran into the kitchen and looked around. Everything seemed fine. I checked the gas burners on the stove. Knobs were all in "off" position. I checked the coffee pot. "Off". Hmmmm... I couldn't figure out what that burning stench was. Just then, I remembered I'd gotten the munchies late last night. The artichoke!!!

Since I am trying to eat healthier, I'd opted against chips & dip, and threw into a big pot of water, an artichoke. They take forever to cook, and I'm really not a patient person (especially when it comes to food), so I turned the gas stove on "high". I then sat down to do a little reading. I started getting really sleepy, so after a while, without even one thought of the cooking artichoke, I climbed the stairs and crawled into my comfy bed, where I remained until this morning, when my alarm clock awoke me.

Every night before bed, I say prayers with my children. Last night was no different. In that prayer, I always ask God to put His Angels around all of us as we sleep, to protect and keep us safe. Well, prayer works, and Angels exist, because SOMEbody shut off that burner last night, and it wasn't me or the kids. It couldn't have been a neighbor, because my doors were locked. The stove doesn't have an auto shut-off feature. And in order to even turn the knobs, you have to push in, then turn.

Crazy, I know. Or is it? I, admittedly, hesitated posting this. But then I thought, "Why?!". I was a little afraid no one would believe me. It took me a while this morning to fully grasp the implications of what happened. The truth is, Faith has become weak within this worldy existence. So when something miraculous actually occurs, the first inclination is to find a way to rationally explain it away. Wouldn't that need to find reason over belief actually be an attempt to disprove God's active, tangible involvement in our every day life? And why would we want to do that?! Yes, our lack of faith may be subconscious and unintentional, but we really need to look at why we have allowed ourselves to become such doubting Thomas's.

God IS the reason you were delayed in traffic and barely missed being involved in that car wreck just up the road. God IS the reason you woke up in the night with a friend heavy on your heart, so you stayed awake praying for them, only to find out the next day that they'd almost died. Your prayer saves lives. And miracles really do happen. I have a Guardian Angel and a very charred artichoke to prove it.

No comments: