Sunday, May 15, 2005

"That Which Will End"

We spend so much time
Running from life…
Finding ways to escape it;
When all we really should be doing
Is living it.
Embracing it.
How can one become aware
Of this agonizing reality,
And yet be unable
To evade it?
How can one find a way
To want to be alive…
I never see the road ahead,
Nor any of us;
And yet we run
With reckless adandon
Into the unknown:
Inevitable loss.
Why?
Why does love become
The pursuit of all we are?
Why does passion consume
And change us so?
So I drown myself
In things which distract
And numb the ache of life.
And I tell myself
It is possible
To live without love,
And be truly alive.
And I inhale deeply
A brave sort of breath,
And I know that I’ll be
Just fine.
Alone.
Alive.
Then the phone rings,
And all at once
All of my courage
Is flushed from my heart,
And replaced by a love
Which devours.
And all of my dreams,
And all my desire
And hope becomes
Only love.
And life becomes,
One again,
The painful pursuit
Of that which will
End.

~~~~~~

I shared this with you as a painful and hopefully helpful reminder (to myself as well), that the only reliable Love... the only source of peace... the only place to find utter solace... is in Jesus. Every other attempt at finding 'home' proves pointless, and begets feelings of solitude and loss.

No comments: