Thursday, March 09, 2006

Love Fades

You asked me to let go.

You told me not to wait.

You said you’d leave a hole,

And cause my light to fade.

You make the choice for me,

As if I am not smart

Enough to see your scars;

Enough to know your heart.

I know the rocky road

And all of the pitfalls

Our hearts would have to trod

If you’d remove those walls.

But I cannot convince,

Nor should I even try.

Each time I see the gleam,

You tightly close your eyes,

And tell me I am not

Enough to make you burn.

And so I’ve chalked you up

To another lesson learned.

I want not to give up

And wait til’ you decide

That we could be complete,

But I have too much pride.

With every day that fades,

I’m learning not to dream.

With every word you say,

I hear you don’t love me.

But somehow deep inside,

A deeper loss is mourned.

I don’t know why, nor how,

But I feel destiny’s torn.

We’ve ripped two hearts in half

That could have been a whole,

We probably should have been.

We’re too far gone to know.

We can’t know what’s ahead,

But life is ours to mold.

We should build a future,

But the past is what we hold.

We cling to all the hurts

And fears that make us run.

We’re letting night fall over us,

And love fades with the sun.

No comments: